RE: [TenTec] Another reason for PTT CW

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Another reason for PTT CW
From: "Rick Westerman" <Rick@dj0ip.de>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 09:25:54 +0100
Grant, maybe there already is a way. Here are two ideas:

As was pointed out earlier, we can mute the RX audio by pushing a
button.
I suppose you could wire a parallel connection to the outside.

Second, leave the Orion is SSB mode, even when copying CW.  If
you do not assign a VFO to the transmitter, it won't transmit (in
any mode).
Assuming that keying the TX (mic) PTT line (with no VFO assigned
to the TX) mutes the RX even though the TX doesn't really
transmit, all you have to do is hit the mic's PTT!  This is
probably the easiest way, but I am not sure if it works.  Just an
idea.

I don't yet have an Orion here to test this but it just might
work.

73 es HNY
Rick

Something that is missing (for me) on most current production
transceivers is an external RECEIVER MUTE connection -- separate
from any PTT control.  This would add a lot of flexibility in a
multi-box
station setup.  There are times I'd like to use the Orion
receiver -- as one
example -- with a different transmitter, and be able to mute it
automatically during transmit by some means other than just relay
switching the speaker connection to an 8 ohm load.

If it isn't possible to separate PTT from CW keying, perhaps it's
possible
to include a receiver mute function that can be driven by an
external
gate/relay/whatever (??).  That might provide a way to skin both
cats at
once .. just a thought.

Grant/NQ5T