Re: [TenTec] Orion tuning rates - Further thoughts

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion tuning rates - Further thoughts
From: Bob Henderson <bob@cytanet.com.cy>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 11:32:08 +0000
Clive (GM3POI) used the following words to explain why he finds the manic stepping of the Orion synthesiser to be a problem. It seems to me that it crystalises the issue pretty well, so with due credit to Clive I relay his comment here:

(GM3POI) I hate a stepped VFO action. I find that when S&Ping I can copy stations easier as I approach their QRG when the VFO action is smooth rather than steps and therefore I'm likely to more often copy the call before I settle on the guys QRG.

Believe it....when you're running at 3-4 a minute and you rapidly transit a second band trying to pick out the mults you need, this really is a BIG issue!

Scott....perhaps you can suggest an alternative approach that wouldn't be inhibited by this synthesiser characteristic?

73

Bob, 5B4AGN, P3F