Re: [TenTec] How We Buy Things

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] How We Buy Things
From: Bob Henderson <bob@cytanet.com.cy>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 00:34:07 +0000
Looks like just another shut up and glory in the perfection message, to me. Though maybe the celebratory alchohol has made me unusually cynical.

Grant Youngman wrote:

Last time I purchased a car, I visited a lot of dealers, did a lot of on-
line research, test drove everything I though I might be interested in.

Found one that met my most important requirements in a price range that would leave me enough to eat .... the way most of us choose what to acquire in the first place ... and then I bought it.

What I did not do afterward, was begin a long discussion with the manufacturer of my car, complaining about features that were not available, about the location of controls and gauges on the dashboard, about the performance of the engine, about the tire pressure monitor that never seemed to work right, etc. After all, engine performance, braking, door locks, headlights, temperature, seat position, radio, GPS, and many other things are controlled by several on-board computers that can always have their code and parameters modified. So in a sense we all drive "software defined" cars .. and more than one very high end automobile the last year or two has suffered mightily from software bugs. How about the equivalent of "stops transmitting and requires a reset" on a tight curve at 80 mph on the Interstate .. :-)

If something breaks I ask the dealer to fix it. I have not asked my dealer to redesign my car because even though I bought it, I wasn't happy with its features. Not that they would have done anything anyway but smile and show me the door, or try to sell me next year's model.

So I drive the car I purchased, and it gets me comfortably where I want to go, even though it is not perfect in every possible way.

Then there are radios ..... :-)

Grant/NQ5T