[TenTec] Error in Ten-Tec Orion (565) Review?

To: mtracy@arrl.org
Subject: [TenTec] Error in Ten-Tec Orion (565) Review?
From: "John Stensby (EE)" <stensby@eng.uah.edu>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 08:57:52 -0600 (CST)
Hello:

CW keying waveforms are shown on p.11 of the ARRL's Expanded Test-Result
Report for the Orion.  I believe that this material may contain an error.

For Fig. A, top trace, the caption states that a "key down" transmit
condition corresponds to a low voltage.  On the top trace of Fig. A, the
waveform starts out (left side of plot) low (i.e., "key down"), and the RF
output envelope starts (approximately) 27ms or so later.  Is this correct?

I am wondering if you have the upper trace of Fig. A "reversed", and a
"key down" condition corresponds to a high voltage on Fig. A (in which
case Fig. A would not depict the voltage on the Orion's open collector
keying transistor).

The delay between "key down" and the start of the output RF envelope
may impact how the rig might be interfaced to a linear amplifier (without
too severe of a "hot switching" problem).

73,

John, n5df

stensby@ece.uah.edu