[TenTec] Orion in SO2R

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion in SO2R
From: Bob Henderson <bob@cytanet.com.cy>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2004 15:31:30 +0000
The following posting was made earlier to the Contesting reflector. It sets out my delights and concerns, 10 days after taking delivery of my 1st Orion. It might be of little interest to non contesters so you guys should focus on the delete button. I may be mistaken but I believe there have been suggestions that Scott, W4PA used two Orions SO2R in the CQWW CW. If you did that Scott, I would really like to know how you found the Orion for short burst mult hunting, if that is a technique you use. So FWIW I repost here.........

For my SO2R contesting, I have used two FT1kMPs for the past 20 months. The primary radio is my original MP and the secondary is a MkV Field. I am impressed by the design philosophy of the Orion, its specs and the findings in the ARRL reports. While the two MPs have given good service in SO2R there are some areas in which I feel they could be better. These include, strong signal handling, filtering flexibility (worse on the Field than the original MP), DSP effectiveness and the complete lack of ability to adjust the CW envelope without dismantling the radio and then the application of a soldering iron. I ordered an Orion around the end of October and took delivery 10 days ago. My plan has been to evaluate it and then if satisfied order a second.

So far there are many things that impress me about the Orion and I mean seriously impress. There are a few niggles. Though I believe most of these will either be fixed in future firmware updates or I will grow accustomed to them. Then there is one BIG issue which currently has me feeling the Orion is incompatible with use in an unassisted SO2R application.

Before I set out my observations let me qualify them by reference to my useage: I am not cut out for phone contesting so I don't do it. My contest effort is directed primarily to CW with some RTTY. These factors define my terms of reference. Further, I don't need to tell you that there hasn't been a major contest in the last ten days so the baptism by fire is yet to occurr.

My experience to date with Orion has me convinced it significantly outperforms the FT1kMP in all of the MPs weak areas mentioned above.

Strong signal handling is noticeably better
The filtering scheme, comprising as it does, selectable xtal roofing filters in the first I/F (9 MHz) and a superb I/F DSP system which provides b/w selectable from 100 Hz to 6000 Hz in 10 Hz steps through a rotary control. As those who are familiar with the TS870 will know; despite some other shortcomings, the I/F DSP filtering in the 870 is superb. Well in the Orion it is not as good, it's BETTER.
The default CW envelope is excellent and gradients are adjustable from the front panel.
Not a factor for SO2R but I do find the QSK the best I have ever used (T.O.R. I currently have TS50, TS570, TS870, TS930, FT1kMP, Field, 2 x K2, and an Omni VI+)

The problem with the Orion for SO2R is born out of something no other of my radios does......

The Orion, according to its specs and according to the ARRL review has pretty much the cleanest synthesiser I've seen. Whilst I am prepared to accept at face value these claims there seems to be a fundamental problem with the way the synthesiser is managed by the Orions control microprocessor.

There are some limitations on the set ups available for tuning rate and synthesiser step size The best of those available appears to be 10 Hz step size with High encoder rate selected from the menus. This gives a tuning rate of 2.5 kHz per revolution. There is currently no way to set a 10 Hz step with 5 or 10 kHz per revolution, which I would prefer. Unfortunate, but hardly the end of the world.

The BIG problem is this: The Motorola Dragonball microprocessor used for housekeeping Orion operations appears to be way short of being up to the job. There are numerous consequences of this, including:

When you press a button on the Orion control panel there is a noticeable delay between what should happen and it actually happening. Fractions of a second but it's there.
The Orion's computer I/F runs at 57600 baud, a veritable race-horse compared to many other radios but any benefit is lost as the Dragonball processes commands at an altogether pedestrian rate.
When you change band from the front panel or under computer control it takes about two seconds for the frequency readout to update.

Niggles but not stoppers? Probably. But.........

With encoder rate at maximum and step size at 10 Hz, if you tune real slowly the steps are barely discernable, as they should be. The illusion that you are controlling the rig with an incredibly stable linear VFO is complete. You only have to tune a little faster though and the bottom falls out of this illusion real quick!
The Dragonball can't cope. It collapses panting on the floor. Instead of processing frequency change requests, it opts instead to merely count the encoder pulses until it finds enough breath to perform a qsy. How does this sound? Well, rather like you have one of the nasty 1980 vintage synths. This really cheapens the feel of the radio but that's not the worst of it.

Unassisted contesters have to find multipliers quickly and efficiently. We can't spend too much time trawling the band at a snail's pace because we'll loose valuable run time. Efficient mult hunting requires rapid tuning with the ability to read some code as you traverse the band without always stopping on stations in order to copy them. It's an art you fellas will understand and one which I have been unable to practice with the Orion, because the choppiness of the synthesiser creates such an overhead of confusion. I haven't used the rig in earnest in a big contest SO2R but I can imagine what will happen when I am running at 3-4 a minute whilst trying to mult hunt in 5-7 second bursts with my second radio while the run radio sends exchanges under computer control. This just isn't going to fly!

The Orion is superb in many ways but it can't replace my SO2R FT1kMPs until this problem is solved. And I have a feeling it will take a significant rework of the Orion's CPU/DSP assembly to do so.

Over to Ten Tec!

73

Bob, 5B4AGN, P3F