Re: [TenTec] Orion in SO2R

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion in SO2R
From: Bob Henderson <bob@cytanet.com.cy>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2004 21:52:45 +0000
Grant Youngman wrote:

altogether pedestrian rate. When you change band from the front panel
or under computer control it takes about two seconds for the frequency
readout to update.

I did some testing there, and although I don't currently have my remote connection plugged in, band change from the panel appears to be well under one second, including the time required to actually depress the band button. I can't make it take two seconds no matter what I do.

There may well be differences with different firmware revisions, I don't know. I am using 1.366. On my Orion, band change itself is quite quick, it's the time to update the frequency display having instigated a band change that takes rather longer. In any event, I didn't draw attention to this as a problem of great significance in its own right but as a symptom of a more fundamental issue. Niggles but not stoppers, I believe I suggested.

copy them. It's an art you fellas will understand and one which I
have been unable to practice with the Orion, because the choppiness

of

the synthesiser

This effect is certainly there. One thing that exacerbates it is sweep, which seems to consume a good bit of processor resources. Running with sweep off significantly reduces the magnitude of the effect as you have described it, although it doesn't eliminate it.

I don't use the band scope. It's just an unecessary additional overhead on a system that's already straining.

Bob, 5B4AGN, P3F