RE: [TenTec] Not TT - Wire antenna question.

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Not TT - Wire antenna question.
From: "Rick Westerman" <Rick@dj0ip.de>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 01:13:31 +0100
Pete, you were fully correct - this one has the potential to
generate lots of opinions.

I only partially agree with you, Pete.  Your suggested feed
method is perfect for feeding the resonant loop (say, on 40m) and
it will give a good match on 15m, but I think Paul will encounter
too high of swr on a coax feedline on some bands.  If his
objective is to work all (or as many as possible) bands, the
openwire is absolutely the very best way to go.

The biggest problem is indeed heating the matchbox instead of
radiating power.

I would suggest that if this antenna is to be a long-term
antenna, Paul would be better off looking around for an old DECCA
"KW E-ZEE Match" matchbox.  It is a Z-match and is symmetrical
from the get-go. It requires openwire feed, of course.

By the way, this is not "theory".  I've built loops of either 40m
or 80m total lengths in at least a dozen different QTH's.  It
never failed to work great - but I always fed it with open wire.

73
Rick