Re: [TenTec] Orion issues

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion issues
From: K4IA@aol.com
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 15:23:09 EST
In a message dated 1/9/2004 14:24:38 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mark@microenh.com writes:
I also found that the user interface was cumbersome in places. There are
some functions that one uses frequently that required going to the menu to
change.
This is the one area that I find most troubling.  The radio is great for
sitting on one frequency and running in a contest.  However, the radio is not
"nimble."  That is, it cannot change direction quickly.  For example:

Consider you are in a QSO and have adjusted the RIT (no one ever calls you
back on frequency) the CUT/PBT and the BW.  Now you finish with him and want to
listen around.  Here is what you have to do to return the radio to a neutral
setup:

1.  Look at the BW button to be sure you are in BW mode.  If not, push the
button to get to BW

2.  Twiddle the knob to open the filter back up.  Maybe four or five twists
and, since twists are not precise, you have to watch the display to look for
the filter width you want

3.  Push the PBT button to get in PBT mode

4.  Hold the button for 2 seconds to zero it.

5.  Hold the RIT button to zero it

Or:

Same as above but you want to switch from a narrow filter with fewer DSP taps
(wider skirts) to a wider filter with 199 taps (steeper skirts) or vice
versa.  You have to:

1.  Put the BW knob in BW mode.

2.  Twiddle it to change the width

3.  Hit Menus=>Filter spin VFO A knob to DSP Filter length, twiddle Multi to
get to the right number of taps.

4.  Hit Menus.

5.  Then be prepared to do it all over again when you change back.

I have suggested to the folks at ditsnbits that this could be fixed by making
use of the USER 1 and 2 buttons on the front of the radio -- using them to
return the radio to some default neutral setting.  I haven't heard from
ditsnbits and I don't know if that is even possible with the firmware.

Still trying to decide if I should keep mine.

Radio k4ia
Craig "Buck"
Fredericksburg, Virginia USA