[Orion] Orion Firmware Bug Report

To: orion@contesting.com, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [Orion] Orion Firmware Bug Report
From: "James C. Garland" <4cx250b@muohio.edu>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 15:12:57 -0500
Hi Gang,
I apologize if this has been reported before, but the tuning step on the sub-receiver in the AM mode is always 2.5 kHz, even if the step size on the display indicates less. In other words, the subreceiver tuning display (either VFO A or VFO B) for the subreceiver frequency seems normal, but the actual subreceiver increments in 2.5 kHz steps in the AM mode. In CW and SSB, it tunes properly.

Here are specifics, if you want to check this on your own Orion. I'll use an AM station at 1000 kHz as an example, although any AM station will work. Set the bandwidth at a narrow amount, say 1.5 kHz, and set the tuning step size at 1 Hz. Tune slowly across the AM station, starting from below (say 990 kHz). When the display shows 999.967 kHz, you'll hear the station pop into intelligibility. At this point the Orion is tuned to 1000 kHz, even though the display says otherwise. Now keep tuning up in frequency. You won't hear any change in the signal until you reach 1002.467 kHz, at which point the signal will suddenly become unintelligible again. Now the Orion is tuned to 1002.500, even though the display reads differently. As you continue to tune higher in frequency, the Orion subreceiver will keep stepping up in 2.5 kHz increments, so long as it is in the AM mode.

I hope this isn't something normal, that I missed in the manual. If so, I apologize for using up bandwidth. In any case, I hope a future firmware revision fixes it, because it makes tuning AM on the subreceiver unsatisfactory. I'm using the latest firmware release.

73,

Jim Garland W8ZR