Re: [TenTec] Orion and PSK - duplicate PSK signal

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion and PSK - duplicate PSK signal
From: "Mark Erbaugh" <mark@microenh.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 10:18:22 -0500
Scott,

> I'm confused - the AUX I/O outputs left and right are the same
> as selected with the AUDIO menu.  Whatever you select on the
> audio menu for Left: and Right: appear at the AUX output left
> side on pin 4, right side on pin 6, just as they appear through the
> headphones.  Did I miss something here (not being sarcastic)?
> What did you find not intuitive about this?

Thanks for the reply.  I was working with the Orion back in September and
perhaps things have changed, but that's not how it seemed to work for me.
Granted, this was before the 'new' manual was released and we weren't aware
that there were 'left' and 'right' outputs; the original manual only
mentioned the one.

I don't have access to the Orion to check this out currently, so I'm
speaking from memory.  Perhaps what I was doing was a little strange, but I
though it should be doable. What I was trying to do was to send the output
of one receiver to the speaker and the output of the other receiver to the
AUX jack. This should work given your explanation, but I was unable to get
it to work. Perhaps someone with an Orion can try this now and see if it
works.

I know people will ask why I wanted to do this.  I wanted to set one
receiver up with tight filters for SSTV reception. When you filter an SSTV
signal just around the tones, any voice sounds terrible, so I wanted to send
the output of the other receiver, with a wider filter to the speaker.

There would still be a problem if I wanted to use headphones. If I sent the
one receiver to both headphones, I wouldn't be able to send the other
receiver to the AUX output.

Mark