Re: [TenTec] Owning a Volvo?

To: Rick@dj0ip.de, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Owning a Volvo?
From: ac5e@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 19:31:45 +0000
While some of the references I have seen have been more than slightly obscure,
at one time "owning a Volvo" was a sign of a "Young Upwardly mobile
Professional Person," or YUPPIE. Driving a Volvo meant you were one of the "in
crowd."

That said, it seems at least one of the presidential wannabe's uses the phrase
to denigrate his opponents supporters, who "aren't hip."  Another uses the
phrase as a variant of the old campaign promise "a car in every garage and a
chicken in every pot." And there are probably references I have missed.
Personally, a politicans version of  "driving a Volvo" reminds me of an old
song from my misspent youth.

"There will be pie, pie in the sky, by'n bye."  Politicians are really good at
hot air and promises - but the promises are best noted for non-delivery.

73  Pete Allen  AC5e