[TenTec] Topband: BDR redux

To: tentec@contesting.com, orion@contesting.com,1000mp@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [TenTec] Topband: BDR redux
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 17:27:46 -0500
YT1NT wrote:

>Unfortunately, Orions RF GAIN control is just that,
a gain control unrelated to AGC loop. Therefore, Orion
users are actually *** handicapped ***, having to activate
menus and then select and change the clumsy "AGC Threshold"
setting, instead of simply turning a knob counter-clockwise
as on less modern receivers.

        I don't agree with you Sinisa.  Having used an MP for 6+
years in ~20 contests on 10 meters, I found Orion much less tiring
to use.  With the MP I was continually riding both the AF and RF
Gain controls depending on conditions, QRM, signal levels, etc.
With Orion I basically set Threshold once, and hardly touched
either AF or RF Gain for 99% of the contest.  The only times I
readjusted Threshold was when the band was very quiet, either at
the very beginning or the very end.  It does take a little learning
to use, but I would not want to go back to the MP's AGC now.

        The combination of the AGC and very quiet passband (which I
attribute to fewer IMD products) made it easier to get most callers
on their first call.  I did install Inrad's AGC mod for the MP, but
subjectively, it just seemed like I could copy far more weak callers
on their first call using Orion.  It could have simply been conditions
but the two most memorable aspects of Orion in both CQ WW's this
fall were the quietness of the passband and the excellent AGC.  I
don't believe the quietness was my not hearing weak stations either,
since my QSO totals were comparable to the top 3 multi-multi's (+4%
for SSB and -4% for CW).

73, Bill W4ZV