Re: [TenTec] Orion AVC

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion AVC
From: "Marijan Miletic" <s56a@bit.si>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 22:01:56 +0100
YT1NT> I'm glad to see that my posts may be of some value.

If TT Worshipers Cult forum accepts that slow AGC might be used on CW, they
may even consider life without QSK and CW PTT need :-)

On the more serious note, DSP RX needs a very tight AGC loop in order to
prevent A/D converter overflow.
Human operators brain feel more comfortable with a slight audio increase on
strong signals.
That's the real world we are living in...

G3RZP has shown in QEX May/June 2002 that very sensitive RX with NF=10 dB
needs up to 25 dB attenuator in EU on 40 m.
Modern amateur RX have higher NF and even two preamps with 6-20 dB gain
which might be used on quiet 10/15 m bands.
I always have a laugh on 160 m preamps even with Beverages...

73 de Mario, S56A, N1YU