Re: [TenTec] Orion's AGC THRESHOLD is in error by 21 (9) dB

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion's AGC THRESHOLD is in error by 21 (9) dB
From: "Tommy" <aldermant@alltel.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 21:19:08 -0500
Does this mean that on Sunday  I should NOT have been one of the few on the
east coast to not only copy, but also work the 9M2 on the low end of 80m CW
because I had my Orion's gain set at 100 and my PROG threshold set for 95uv?
Sorry I can't relate the S-meter reading because I very seldom watch that
when operating CW. Maybe I just have a super-gain plain old 80m dipole? Or
maybe I, being a full-flegged memeber of the TT CULT, just enjoy operating
my gear more than trying to technically analyze faults into a design teams
efforts. Perhaps your efforts would have been more fruitful IF you had been
a member of that design team.

I'm curious as to why you think (not really though) if I'm copying a very
weak signal in low band noise and I have a BW set to about 300Hz, why is it
that the very weak signal seems to pop right out of the noise when I set L
CUT to about -100?

Tom-W4BQF