Re: [TenTec] Problems with latest firmware download

To: <Rick@dj0ip.de>, <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Problems with latest firmware download
From: "Greg Hodsdon" <k7kj@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 15:07:19 -0800
Rick,
I don't think your problem is necessarily the computer OS.
The shack computer here is an ancient Pentium 233/64MB ram/1 Gig HD/
Win98 with all updates and networked to the home computer and
the web.  I have installed every Orion firmware update
since early last April with absolutely no problems at any time.

Install a standard serial cable between the computer com port of
your choice and the Orion.  Make sure your com port is set up on
the computer and is selected in the Orion install program (Flash II
Update Utility/Settings - see last paragraph below).

It's not necessary to download the updated firmware file.
Try "opening" the file directly from the RF Squared web page and
the file should self extract.

Power up the Orion by pressing and holding the "user2" button
while turning on the "power" switch.  This puts the Orion in the update
mode. Then go to your desk top and Start/Programs/TenTec Orion Update/
Update Orion/Settings/Setup/ (select Com port#).  Then select Process/Update
Radio/ (select the latest firmware  *.ruf file).  The communication should start
to the radio.  There's  a "How To" file with instructions in the TT Orion
Update folder.
Good luck.
73 de Greg, K7KJ

Greg Hodsdon