Re: [TenTec] Seriously OT: High Speed CW

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Seriously OT: High Speed CW
From: John Graves <jhgraves@gis.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 23:46:11 -0500
It has been interesting to read the comments here on the list. I am non-technical but hands on network peddler/engineer. I knew that work was under way to get sub 5k vocoders but less that half!!?? WOW. I am sure that the footprint required by the transport protocols (IP) are driving this a lot.

I think I can hear quantizing noise on voice with the 5 k codecs, but the 7-8 k sound like "toll quality" to me. There is an edge to the audio on the 5k voice. But it is perfectly usable. I guess the tape will move downstream as the development continues.

BTW, our club had a presentation by a major AM station engineer on AM digital radio. He had tapes that illustrated the "there/not there" quality of digital audio. But they are really torturing the bandwidth to achieve a compatible signal. He said has does not see any way to generate a legal signal and have any adjacent channels because they are using the outside sidebands for the digital information. That is why digital AM is confined to daytime broadcast.."The times they are a changing"

John
WB1EHL