[TenTec] Ten Tec Omni D, Why so quiet ?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Ten Tec Omni D, Why so quiet ?
From: Newberry Gary <gnn01@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 11:01:08 -0800 (PST)
I hve a friend that's a recent convert to Ten Tec rigs
mainly because of their quiet receiver. I hadn't paid
much attention to it until this morning. On my Yaesu
FT-857 ( an Icom 706 MKIIG clone ) On the Yaesu it
sounded like there was a thunderstorm in the not to
distant area with static noise levels around S5 or S6.
I fired up the Omni D (Series C)on the same antenna
and it was as quiet as a church mouse, the S meter
would drop to almost it's resting state and the noisy
Midcars net I was listening to sounded almost like a 2
meter FM station at full quieting. I know the Omni
isn't insensitive as I've had it back to Ten Tec for
an alignment within the past couple of months.

I've got some 120 KV lines and a substation about 500
feet behind my house and wonder if for some reason the
Yaesu is sensitive to that noise and the Omni isn't ?

I just wonder if someone has a good logical
explanation, I'm in Flint, Mich and worked a mobile
running 5 watts in Mass. on a poor condition 40 meter
CW band and I doubt with the noisy receiver of the
'857 I would have heard him at all.

I just wonder if anyone has any technical explanations
for this ? Needless to say I'm not going to part with
the old Omni D anytime in the near future.

Thanks in advance

Gary K8IQ