[TenTec] Orion

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 13:17:59 -0500
K5SF wrote:
>I think I understand the use of the BW/PBT HI/LOW cut and notch filters.
which work, but the signal becomes unreadable quickly.

Here are some tips for optimizing SSB reception in heavy QRM:

1.  Buy the 1800 Hz roofing filter and lock it enabled.  If you
don't lock it, it will not be activated by the firmware in Auto
until DSP = 1400 Hz which is too narrow for SSB use.

2. Set DSP BW to 1600-2000 Hz depending on QRM.

3.  Set PBT to +150 to +200 depending on your preference.  This
facilitates decent copy even when narrowing DSP BW to 1600 Hz.

4.  Set Audio > RX EQ to about -10 dB.  This is the equivalent
of what the Heil HC-4 does on transmit.  It emphasizes highs
which makes signals more readable, especially at narrow BW's.

5.  The REAL secret on 160 is directional RX antennas like
Beverages.  No radio settings can truly compensate for not
having these.

        The CQ 160 SSB is truly the worst QRM there is...which is
one reason I normally turn my radio off for this weekend!

73, Bill W4ZV