[TenTec] Orion: Preserving context

To: ditsnbits@tentec.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion: Preserving context
From: Sinisa Hristov <shristov@ptt.yu>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 16:49:34 -0500
Hi Gary,

Orion features a confusing concept of what may be
called "context preserving", i.e. saving and restoring
parameters when switching bands, or with in-band
"stacking registers". This also applies to A>B, B>A, A/B
and memories, although I find it most disturbing when
changing bands and stacking registers.

For example, PBT is not saved/restored. Given that
optimal PBT values tend to be 0 Hz for CW and ~150 Hz for SSB,
a very unpleasant thing happens when switching from a
CW-set register to a SSB-set register, and vice versa.
Not being saved/restored, PBT obviously turns out wrong
and one has to adjust it. But, a useful encoder setup is
CUT-L and BW (this is convenient for both CW and SSB and
avoids pressing knobs). Now, one uses CUT-L to correct PBT,
but that changes BW, of course. So BW also needs adjusting,
etc. Very unpleasant and distracting.

This works much, much better on FT1000MP, for example.
Filter selection, RIT, etc. are saved and restored,
and one can leave a "context" and return later
to it with everything unchanged (well, almost: SHIFT and WIDTH
knobs are obviously not restored). In multi-band multi-mode
contests this is a great releif.

Therefore I suggest that "context saving and restoring" code
be reviewed and updated to manage the following parameters
at the very least:

  MODE
  frequency
  STEP
  BW
  PBT
  RIT value
  RIT ON/OFF
  XIT ON/OFF
  PREAMP ON/OFF
  ATTN value
  RF GAIN value
  ANT and VFO selection for main RX/TX

This should be very easy to implement at least for stacking registers
and A>B, B>A and A/B. In the case of memories, their number may have
to be reduced, but I'd rather have a few of them which do remember
everything that's needed, than having to remember and adjust that myself.

This may be complemented by roofing filter selection
and some other stuff from menus, but that may not be as easy
to implement as above, due to the user interface concept.

A related problem is that Orion's RX and VFO distinction
is even more confusing. Some parameters which obviously
are properties of receivers are being attached to VFOs, etc.
I haven't made a detailed analysis, but it looks like
neither TenTec did.

Looks like you liked the general idea, but didn't like
some of it's logical consequences, and then sacrified
the logic and applied some random patches for "convenience".

It would have been much better if you did stick to the
chosen logic. Or, if you didn't like its consequences,
then you should have selected another kind of logic.

73,

Sinisa  YT1NT, VA3TTN