[TenTec] Orion in action

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion in action
From: Bob Henderson <bob@cytanet.com.cy>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 06:59:32 +0000
I've been absent a while as we've been off touring ZL and a little of VK. I terminated all my reflector subscriptions before we left in an attempt to avoid a mailbox overflow. I'm just getting around to re-establishing myself now we're back at the ranch here.

Just thought I would let you know I got around to giving my Orion an airing in the Russian DX contest over the weekend. I operated SOAB CW and the Orion performed very well. The result seems to confirm that.

SOAB CW World record for RDXC was set in 2003 by LZ9W and stands at:

Qs - 2068, Mults - 538 and Score 7,025,204

My claimed score this year with Orion is:

Qs - 2570, Mults - 574, Score 11,050,074

The Orion performed flawlessly from my perspective. The only concern I have is that post contest I've had a couple of folks tell me that there was noticeable clipping of character elements when I sent at high 30s - 40 wpm. Looking back at some of the stuff in the archives that I missed while I was away, I see a note from Sinisa referring to this clipping problem. I didn't find too much by way of follow up to that analysis though. Sinisa's analysis and the comments I have received this weekend are consistent and certainly suggest some work is needed on this.

Have I missed something?

Bob, 5B4AGN, P3F