Re: [TenTec] OMNI 5 and PSK 31 Digimode

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OMNI 5 and PSK 31 Digimode
From: Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX <RMcGraw@Blomand.Net>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 10:17:07 -0600
I am not sure where the Orion info entered the discussion as its
architecture is somewhat different.  I can speak for the Omni V and VI and
VI + series along with the Paragon series which all used the same method for
audio in and audio out on the rear panel.

If one connects the line in and line out on the sound card to the audio out
and audio in on the radio, there is no interface really required.
Adjustments of levels with the sound card software and VOX gain/delay
settings are easy, consistent and reliable for the digi modes such as PSK-31
as generated by the computer software.  I am aware of those persons that use
the mike input and speaker output of the sound card to feed audio to and
from the radio.  This does present a slight challenge to get the levels
correct.  Frankly, I do consider this as mis-application of the hardware
involved.  I've always viewed mike levels as mike levels, line levels as
line levels and speaker levels as speaker levels.  Should one cross barriers
between any of these three, then they are asking for problems of level and
impedance matters to be resolved otherwise.

I have used this configuration for years with a great degree of success and
reliability.  IMD reports on the Omni and the Paragon in this configuration
are consistently in the -28 dB to -35 dB range when not limited by noise on
the receiving end.

73
Bob, K4TAX