[Orion] Raspy CW Note, etc. really solved this time

To: orion@contesting.com, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [Orion] Raspy CW Note, etc. really solved this time
From: Joe Giacobello <k2xx@swva.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 11:35:13 -0500
My previous postings attributing my Orion's raspy received CW note and other symptoms to software origins were dead wrong. I had previously agreed with others that the problem arose when the sweep function was turned on. The problem appears to be a leaky bypass capacitor in my Titan 425 amp. Disconnecting the coax between the amp and the Orion, while leaving the PTT line connected, solved the problem. Substituting a second 425 RF deck also eliminated the problem. Most likely, a 3CX800 filament bypass is leaking. Apparently, the AC was feeding back into the Orion through the input coax.

Sorry for the misdirection, but I hope that this information may save others some diagnosis time in the future.

73, Joe