[TenTec] 2m xverter -1210A new potential user questions - drift?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>, <tentec@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: [TenTec] 2m xverter -1210A new potential user questions - drift?
From: "wv0q" <wv0q@jbelderok.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 12:48:01 -0600
Hello
I was wondering if anyone on the list might be able to discuss with me
their use of the TT 2m xverter?

I would like to use one with a TT Triton IV Digital 544 that is sitting
idle.

Currently I am using an Icom 706MKIIG and on 2m CW it is drifting like a
bad boy.. It has become annoying and do not like to have my sked to keep
having to RIT me in.

I have read eham reviews and found a couple, one says they drift and can
be helped along see the following

If I may quote k0cba's review  http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/173
"The 2 meter xverter. does the same good job using 10 meters as the IF.
Unfortunately, it is not as stable as the 6 mtr. unit, but by adding a
12 vdc. light bulb next to the Xtal. and trim cap. as an oven, and a
piece of foam rubber over them, it becomes quite stable after a 5 or 6
minute warm up"

Is this true? Am I back in the same boat as the ICOM?

I would apprciate any thoughts pro/con on ones findings using this unit.
Overall how do you like it?

I was looking into an Elecraft solution but due to time constraints
would not have time to build this and when all said and done the total
comes to $1200+ to get a 6m and 2m xverter fully worked up and
configured.
Borrowed Dad's (WV0R) 711 and that according to my sked is very nice and
stable on CW but no QSK bummer.
Had the above brainstorm and thought about dedicating the TT TIV to the
task. Luv TT gear and wanted to give this a shot

Tnx very much

Jacq
NE0O ex WV0Q