Re: [TenTec] Can Iambic be used as single Paddle

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Can Iambic be used as single Paddle
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 21:47:05 -1000
I think I'd adopt to a single paddle faster than iambic. That is, I understand index finger/thumb pressure, but squeeze trips me up.

However, there are few Bencher ST-1/2 or Vibroplex Keyer models for sale. Almost everything I see in classifieds is iambic. Can the iambic be "adjusted" so it ignores the squeeze? I'll be using this with and Argo V and/or a Paragon with an outboard keyer.

About a week ago on the CW refelector there was a discussion about what "iambic" keying is. Iambic is more a characteristic of the keyer than of the key. If you have an iambic keyer, you can use a single paddle key to send with it, but you will not be able to take advantage of the iambic function of the keyer. You can also use a double paddle key with a non-iambic keyer and it will work fine. The double paddle key is not really "iambic" however it is necessary to use one to get iambic function on an iambic keyer.

Don't worry about squeeze. I suggest you just go ahead and get a double paddle key, and a versatile keyer which can be set to operate iambic, bug style, non-iambic, etc, etc. Then you will have all the options available just by changing settings of the keyer. My guess is you'll end up going for iambic. You will not be stuck with it though if you get a good keyer.

I like the Logikey K-3, I have no financial interest in that product, it is what I use and I am completely satisfied with it.

DE N6KB