[TenTec] New radio fever

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] New radio fever
From: "Ten-Tec Inc. Amateur Radio Sales" <sales@tentec.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 11:16:47 -0400
At 07:43 AM 4/28/04 -0400, you wrote:

        If anyone ever accuses you guys of being a
cult, you should see some of the comments on the
IC-7800 list.  Amazing how little more
than advertising hype turns some folks on.  I'm sure if
ARRL measures any decent performance in their Test
Report,  the same folks will then be crowing about it!

73, Bill W4ZV

It's been a couple of years now, but thanks to the contesting.com archive, you can go back and look at March 2002 when we announced the Orion and took it to the Charlotte Hamfest (with a complete specification page, 1 year in advance of release, that has changed very little since that time).

Almost all of the discussion was:  Shiny knobs!  They're yellow!  A screen!
We need a color screen!  Black!  It's *black*!

And I thought the reaction was going to be:  Look at that phase noise
performance!  Mode-appropriate roofing filters!  100 dB at 5 kHz spacing!
Incredible!

It is kind of neat to read the IC7800 reflector and see that all the comparative
discussion focuses on "is it as good as the Orion?" - at present, there is no
way to tell as there isn't any spec information published for the Icom radio.
Having the Orion used as the standard of comparison for a transceiver that's
three times the retail price means we've achieved what we set out to do.

Firmware update 1.370 for the Orion is coming shortly.

73
Scott Robbins W4PA

Ten-Tec, Inc., 1185 Dolly Parton Pkwy, Sevierville, TN 37862 USA
Contact Mon-Fri Eastern: Office/Tech (865) 453-7172 9 am-5 pm.
Repair (865) 428-0364 8-4. Sales (800) 833-7373 9 am-5:30 pm.
Fax (865) 428-4483 24 hrs. Visit us at <http://www.tentec.com>
Email: New product sales/product info sales@tentec.com
Service department service@tentec.com
While we make every effort to answer email in an expedient manner,
the telephone is a much more efficient tool for getting a quicker and
more complete answer to your inquiries. Thanks!