Re: [TenTec] Bush behind BPL...

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Bush behind BPL...
From: Bill NY9H <ny9h@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 10:19:38 -0500
I just sent off the following web response to the Citizen Utility Board,
a VERY active group in Illinois. These guys are VERY TOUGH on the utilities in Illinois.... read on , you will get my drift .....
I noted it as an inquiry rather than a complaint....

*******************
inquiry.. i understand that the state 'allows" the power utilities to make a certain "profit" on their operations.. since they have a monopoly. So far ok. Now I see electric companies i believe Peoria is the first in our state , trying to compete with the cable companies offering internet "over the powerlines." I've been selling these technologies for 15 years; and I see no way is it economically feasible to succeed.. technically a lost cause. The promoters suggest service to rural america, yet the infrastructure needed to go inplace to provide such service, would make them more expensive than cable !! BUT WE ' GUARANTEE THEM THEIR 8% PROFIT... but they will need to bury the infrastructure losses in our electric bills.
Am I missing something... they havbe a hard enough time maintaining their current infrastructures.... HELP ME IF I CRAZY....i DON'T WANT TO PAY MORE FOR MY ELECTRIC BECAUSE COMED OR CILCO TRIES TO COMPETE WITH COMCAST , SBC & COX.
I would think this would be an issue for all the state advocacy groups ???

In addition, this technology got tossed from Japan & many European countries because it interfered with radio communications. ( yes I am very concerned about that aspect)
but I'm afraid we will have to pay for a BIG LOSER...
Are these regulated agencies precluded from going into other businesses using their capital
and regulated cash ??? regards

Bill Steffey

maybe I'm barking up a wrong tree, but many states have similar watchdog groups , who regularly SUE their utilities....and get money back for the users.
If BPL is not a good business model ... the utility boards should be screaming about wasting money ... just a thought..
( we could at least make them aware of the bad business model.....
especially if they have to turn it off , after a legal complaint.!!!

bill ny9h

so write call your local watchdog group to save you from supporting a lost cause financially BY YOUR REGULATED ELECTRIC COMPANY...
especially if they already implementing BPL/.