[TenTec] Anti-BPL Campaign

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Anti-BPL Campaign
From: John Rippey <w3uls@3n.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:56:57 -0400
I'm afraid the last-ditch effort to derail the Bush campaign's promises regarding broadband services via BPL will be of no avail. By now, it seems obvious that FCC Chairman Powell got the bright idea months ago that this technology could be a plus for a President (remember his 2000 rival "invented" the Internet) not known for his technological orientation. Someone at the White House bought into it, and it seems set in concrete. (Last week was not the first time the subject has come up in a Bush campaign speech.)

The NTIA report appears to say there are problems, perhaps even serious ones, but that they can be dealt with. At any rate, between now and November it's doubtful whether anyone at the White House will pay much attention to objections, nuanced or otherwise, to the spread of this technology. After the elections, it could be a different story. One can always hope.

About a year ago eHam.net posted an article of mine arguing that the ARRL needs more members. The onslaught of anti-ARRL sentiment this article generated was sobering. So I would have to say that in a hotly competitive world, the amateur radio service is going into battle against BPL with its lobbying arm woefully underfunded and undermanned for what may be a true watershed for the hobby. You're not going to find Tommy Boggs, Timmons & Co., or Covington & Burling on the ARRL's payroll, for example. You're talking millions of dollars, money the ARRL doesn't have.

My experience with writing the eHam.net article has led me to conclude that as much of the blame for the current crisis lies within as it does without.

73,
John, W3ULS