[TenTec] BPL suit

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] BPL suit
From: Clark Savage Turner <csturner@kcbx.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 10:19:24 -0700

On Friday, April 30, 2004, at 07:56 AM, WD4K wrote:

on a big dog. Merely an irritation. Segway to the 1000-100,000-200,000 (pick
a number) hams and communications equipment users simply signing a paper
agreeing to be plantiffs in a class action suit against the manufacturers,
distributors ( your local electric service, hint hint!), and suppliers of
BPL systems for legal violations, loss of use of equipment and investment,
etc...you get the picture.... and now you have a voice.

This is not a simple matter. You have to find an attorney willing to work for free (a lot of hard work and out of pocket $$$ to put together such a case!) OR you would need to convince the attorney that the case is a winner and the contingent fee would be sufficiently large. Proof of damages is really not so simple. What are the damages to a disputed partial loss of a "privileged" use of spectrum? Is this based on a constitutional right? No. It is a privilege (what is its value?)

would be some second guessing happening rather quickly. I know if I were an
investor in BPL and the rumor was out that a group was planning a 500
million-one Billion (pick a number) dollar class action suit that involved

Whoa, where do you get this number? Really, I think that if you want to help with a solution, you need to be more specific. Specificity and facts are required by any attorney (as it should be) before anyone thinks of using Court resources to try to make a change in policy. Anything else would be viewed as frivolous.

Another thought: amateur radio is a privilege, not a right. We have our hobby by a grant by governments. Here, that depends on popular support. If Congress does not support us and we make "pests" of ourselves, what is to stop them from making amateur radio the "secondary" users in the HF spectrum? Well, not much. International laws are not binding here :-).

I am not sure about the correct direction to preserve our HF privileges, but I do think it depends on popular support and understanding of government officials, NOT on some exercise of lawsuits at this point. I think that, legally speaking, that is a poor choice.

Clark
WA3JPG