Re: [TenTec] Re: Missionary Radio Activity [Was: 555]

To: kd4e@arrl.net, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re: Missionary Radio Activity [Was: 555]
From: "Bert Braun, DD5XL" <maschinist@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 23:47:24 +0200
doc schrieb:

As long as some missionary nets in Africa and South America use the amateur bands illegally for their chats, reviling hams on the same or nearby QRGs, no ham will really give them a radio for free or even low price.

English speaking missionaries are using Ham gear on Ham
bands without Ham licenses?

Yes, in deed!
But most of them are not english speaking. There is e.g. a quite active net in Africa around 14.240 USB, switching occasinally to LSB when triggered by HAMs and the OPs are reviling HAMs on the same QRG.

Can you document who it is and with whom they are affiliated?
It should be a simple matter to stop that quickly -- such would
be a gross violation of Biblical ethics.

Yes, I think I can.
In our national radio organizations' magazine, CQ-DL, is a regulary item reporting the abuse of hamradio frequencies by non-ham services, including these missionary nets.
I will collect the reports of the past months for you in a separate posting, if you can only stop one of them, it will be a success for every ham!

I have also served as a relay or merely ragchewed with a number
of missionaries on the Ham bands and again every one was
duly licensed and careful to obey the laws of the nation in
which they served.

These mentioned missionary nets are not operated by any licensed missionary, they simply use amateur radio transceivers in the amateur radio bands as a cheap communication between each other.

Please qualify your assertion with facts and I assure you
that I will personally contact their sponsoring organizations
to insist that any such offenses be terminated immediately.

I will do so and I hope, you are successful in your affordment.

73 de Bert