[TenTec] switching to Orion

To: <kenh@hunters.org>
Subject: [TenTec] switching to Orion
From: "William H. Hein" <Bill@AA6TT.com>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 08:11:43 -0400
Hello Ken.  As a veteran of the multi-op contest wars, I have used pretty
much every xcvr made in the last 20 years under 'battlefield' conditions.
Until the Orion shipped, I considered the FT-1000D the class of the field
for critical crowded-band/weak signal use, with the PIN-diode modified
IC-781 a close second.  Although introduced about 15 years ago, these two
rigs outperformed everything else released since, IMHO.

Then came the Orion.  I bought one of the first ones and had mixed feelings.
The raw performance was outstanding but the software bugs were highly
annoying.  Rebooting a rig in the middle of a high-rate run doesn't help win
contests.

However, Ten-Tec has kept upgrading the Orion's firmware and improved its
reliability to the point early this year that I decided to make my operating
console (four HF operating positions) all-Orion.  I've sold an FT-1000mp and
an IC-756PROII and am preparing to sell my IC-756PRO, IC-781 and FT-1000D.
That should tell you something.  (I'd like to keep my FT-1000D as I've
worked pretty much all the best DX in my log on that rig, but a glance at my
MasterCard statement kills that notion.)

A big factor in my decision to go all-TT is Ten-Tec's habit of listening to
their customers and incorporating user feedback into their products in what
seems like 'real time.'  In the case of the Orion, Ten-Tec is building many
user suggestions into each new firmware revision (new features, not just bug
fixes).  Such continual updating should keep the Orion a competitive rig for
years and years to come and help protect my investment.

Can you imagine Icom, Yaesu or Kenwood upgrading a current product line
based on customer feedback?  Ever see a posting in a reflector forum like
this from an Icom, Yaesu or Kenwood executive?

73,
Bill NT1Y (ex-AA6TT)
Topsham VT

PS:  The new Yaesu looks interesting and I'm pleased they included 6m.  I
think the high-end rig competition between I, Y, K and TT is fantastic for
us DXers/contesters (although 'K' has been quiet on the high-end rig front
for a long-time, their last great rig was the TS-930).