[TenTec] Knobs & Buttons

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Knobs & Buttons
From: Martin Ewing <martin@aa6e.net>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 09:11:54 -0400
de K4TAX:

I just took a closer look at this thing.  Best I could count is 38 knobs and
86 pushbuttons.  And some appear to have more than 2 functions.  As I've
seen recently most folks have only 2 hands and 10 fingers.  That's a lot of
controls to expect to get correct before take-off.

73
Bob, K4TAX

Well, in my Orion, there are "38 knobs and 85 pushbuttons". It's just that they're mostly buried under layers of menus and all controlled by the "Multi" knob. (And they don't all work as advertised!)

The complexity is part of the digital landscape. I agree that it's asking a lot for an average (let alone a beginning) op to configure everything properly before take-off. Adjusting everything for maximum clockwise won't get you far...

One of these days, we will get some AI (Artificial Intelligence) along with our DSPs that will let you set up properly for particular modes: SSB, CW, PSK, local/dx, etc. It's like what you get when you buy a digital camera -- there's always a "point and click" mode and some pre-set modes for close-up, portrait, etc. If you're a die-hard, the expensive models let you go to full manual.

73, Martin, AA6E