RE: [TenTec] Yaesu FL-7000 to Orion

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Yaesu FL-7000 to Orion
From: "Chuck (Jack) Hawley" <c-hawley@uiuc.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 19:52:39 -0500
What you need is a 16 line to 4 line encoder. Just off the top of my head,
this would take a pair of MC14532 cmos encoders configured to a 4 bit output
using a 5 volt supply. The output of the Yaesu band data is 0 to 5 volts
approx. binary coded decimal and so that must be what is needed at the input
of the 7000 (I once made a Yaesu 990 to Herc band decoder and had to convert
the 5 volt BCD logic to 12 volt one of sixteen line to drive the Herc). So
what is the output of the Orion...12 volts I guess...like the Omni VI+? Then
you will have to simply attenuate the outputs of the Orion so as to not
exceed the 5 volt supply voltage on the MC14532 inputs. The input current of
the encoders is less than a microamp so I would use the following ckt. Each
output of the Orion to a 68K resistor the other end of which goes to a 33K
which is across the input of each encoder input to gnd. And probably a
.001uF across each 33K would be good. The encoders are capable of sourcing
or sinking a milliamp so if the input impedance of the 7000 is less than say
20K, then a buffer amp like an MC14050 should be put between the encoder
outputs and the 7000.
I realize this is all old cmos. There are dozens of ways to do this so have
at it. But, basically this is what it takes.

Chuck, KE9UW

---