Re: [TenTec] BPL, RFI & FCC

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] BPL, RFI & FCC
From: "Ron Notarius" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 21:11:49 -0400
Oh, I can't WAIT until all these garage door opener owners get told this
one!

Most GDO owners have no idea what frequency(s) their system(s) run on.
(Having spent the last 6 months in the Hardware department at the local Home
Depot, trust me on this... I got to deal with a lot of people looking for
replacements).  Many older systems run around 390 MHz.  I don't know offhand
the current frequency(s), they may be the same or close or not so close.

But here's the thing:  How many of these owners are going to be able to
"change" their frequency?  None, zip, zero, nada.  Nope, they're going to
march right back to the store where they bought them and/or call and scream
at the manufacturer to "fix" the problem.  Now THIS is going to be an
"interesting" warranty problem!  On the one hand, the units no longer work
due to QRM.  On the other hand, the units themselves work fine when there's
no QRM, so there may not be a warranty issue per se.

Very interesting!

Let's just hope some of this filters up to the FCC.  And if so, that they
pay attention.

Nah.

73, ron wn3vaw