[TenTec] FW: QSK?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] FW: QSK?
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 02:00:45 -0400
I know this has been a hot topic on the reflector, but I think something
really might be broken here. Even with CW Delay set to 0%, I can't hear
anything between elements or letters at contest speeds (32-36 WPM.)
Sometimes I hear between words, but not often. Basically, QSK is useless and
I there's no substantive difference between 0% delay and 100% delay (well,
0% delay is a little noisier and there are some annoying switching
transients.)

I know people are saying that there's no difference between 1.370 and 1.367
in this respect, but I'm virtually certain it wasn't always this way. When I
first got the Orion (last September), I could not use it in a contest with
CW Delay set to 0% -- there was too much distracting noise from crowded
bands. I think that was 1.358. Using 1.370, I was able to do about 15 hours
in WPX (1000+ QSOs) with CW Delay set to 0%. The audio transients were a bit
annoying, but I hardly heard anything from the band.

I've been thinking about going back to 1.358 to check, but I'll bet a memory
reset will be needed...

73, Dick WC1M