AW: [TenTec] Question for Contesters:

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: AW: [TenTec] Question for Contesters:
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 08:40:53 -0400
YT1NT wrote:
>Reality is that FT-1000x was released with a number of problems
two orders of magnitude smaller than Orion's.

Sinisa, I must respectfully and strongly disagree. Yaesu FT-1000X radios
have been polluting our band with terrible key clicks for at least 15 years
now and the company has yet to acknowledge any problems. There have now
been 4 generations (1000D, MP, Mk V, Field) which all share the same basic
design flaw. With the popularity of the 1000 series, I would say the Yaesu
1000 family is BY FAR the #1 source of CW pollution today.

        Orion was first shipped in late March of last year, and Ten-Tec has
diligently addressed most issues.  In fact, just this morning W8JI said
the latest beta of 1.371 has NO clicks.  Contrast this to 15 years of
stonewalling the same issue by Yaesu, and leaving it up to the owner to
fix the 1000 clicks at his own expense.  There is simply no comparison.

Yes, Orion has had a few other issues, such as "digital" tuning, etc but
they are nowhere near the same magnitude in terms of impact on other users of
our bands as the 1000 family. I violated my own rule of never buying a new
radio in the first year of its life, but felt confident in doing so with the
firmware update capability. So far I have not been disappointed. In the case
of Yaesu, I would still be waiting after 15 years for a radio that should
have never been released initially with its terrible clicks.

73, Bill W4ZV