[TenTec] Radials

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Radials
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 12:30:37 -0400
DJ0IP wrote:
>And once again, the question of 30x 1/4 vs 60x 1/8 wavelength radials
remains unanswered.  (for 160 meters I believe...de W4ZV)

And the answer is:

30 * 0.25 * 538' = ~4000' of wire

Looking at Figure 3 on page 3 here:
http://www.ncjweb.com/k3lcmaxgainradials.pdf

the optimum number of radials for ~4000' of
total wire is 30-40 assuming average soil.
Therefore the answer to your question is:

30 1/4 radials has about 0.2 dB less loss than 60 1/8 radials. Will you ever notice the difference? I doubt it.

There is also a simple guideline in ON4UN's book which says there is no need for any space between radials to be closer than ~0.015 wavelengths. This is all covered in great detail in Chapter 9 of the most recent Low Band DX-ing.

73, Bill W4ZV