[TenTec] OT: Question for Contesters

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] OT: Question for Contesters
From: John Rippey <w3uls@3n.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 15:30:16 -0400
Reading the exchanges between Sinisa and Ulrich got me to wondering:

My impression of the recent CQ WPX CW contest was that there were a LOT fewer contesters on the air than I had expected. But I am new to this racket. Was the number truly down? If so, was it due to propagation conditions that discouraged contest entries? Or something else? Is this a harbinger of future declines in CW contesting-? (I regard the WPX, perhaps wrongly, as one of the premier CW contests.)

I haven't checked lately, but my neighbor in the next county, KM4M (K4JA), had a huge multi-2 score but there was only one other station (U.S.) reporting in that category. Not much competition there.

At any rate, due to the (low) number of contesters, BDR and IMD DR were not a problem at my (east coast) location during the contest.

Someone please enlighten me :-)

73,
John, W3ULS