Re: AW: [TenTec] Question for Contesters:

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: AW: [TenTec] Question for Contesters:
From: Ulrich Hilsinger <dh0ghu@dh0ghu.de>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 20:43:58 +0200
Hello,

sorry, but I completely disagree with you, Sinisa.

First, there is no higher-magnitude error than a bad transmit signal.
Every other error is only harmull to the operator itself, a FT1000X can kill a band segment in a whole continent, at least regarding DX signals (of course, ORION's DSP noise blanker even blanks out some key click noise... but only few people use an ORION, which seems to be the only transceiver which is compatible to FT1000x key clicks ...).
From my point of view, a transceiver producing excessively loud key clicks is disqualified as contesting transceiver.

Second point, I do not know what YOU consider as severe problem on the ORION. It seems to me you never really tried to operate an ORION for a contest.
Yes, there are some minor bugs. I know the voice keyer is not working flawless. I know the (unnecessary) spectrum scope may cause problems. I know there might be situations where something's going into Nirwana.
But how often did this happen ? Never had this situation during WPX.
My impression during WPX-CW was:
- I heard very bad, but due to a very bad cold I had during the last two and a half weeks.
- I had some wideband noise pulses from the neighbourhood (every 30-60 seconds for 2 to 5 seconds, up to S9), which have nothing to do with the receiver performance.
- The receiver of the ORION has proven its excellent performance. Even on 40m, I heard only very few QRM, and no "AGC pumping" at all. Compared to the TS850 I used for several years, this is many orders of magnitude better. With my bad cold, I'm shure I'd have stopped operation after few hours with my TS850. With the ORION, at least on sunday, I had no problems at all. Excellent receiver, excellent AGC, good sound, great filters. Same impression as I gained during the other contests I operated with the ORION since beginning of march, among them ARRL SSB, WPX SSB, DARC VHF (in parallel to ARRL SSB), and many other small contests and during the daily DX business.
- The transmit signal has been confirmed to be excessively good. The next station operating the WPX lives only 200m from my QTH, and he confirmed to me that he worked other stations 7 kHz from my frequency, and there, he only heard S1 spurs from me. I operate with 750W... With my old equipment, he normally was not willing to operate on the same band than me... (Unfortunately, his transmit signal is not as clean as mine, but he only operates at 10W PEP, so I can live with it ... )
I never had severe problems during contests. Directly at the beginning of my "ORION Carreer" I had some problems with software failures, but those disappeared almost completely, so probably the problem wasn't sitting inside the ORION but behind the shack table.. ;-). And if a configuration goes into Nirwana, I push the "User1" or "User2" button, go back to my frequency, and I'm back operation within seconds.

Third point, I do not see any reason to criticate TenTec. TenTec service, in cooperation with their german distributor (APPELLO, http://www.appello.de), is excellent. I had a warranty problem showing up on 17m (synthesizer had a constant offset), and only few days after I asked APPELLO for support, I received the replacement part. Installed it into the ORION within few minutes, and all was O.K. again.
I've never seen a HAM transceiver of comparable excellent construction than the ORION. No big cable trees, boards are easily accessible, the internal design is well structured.
Regarding software errors, I consider it to be absolutely normal that an error might occur at least during the first years (!), and the more software a radio contain, the more software errors it will contain. As long as the manufacturer distributes free updates, I do not see a severe problem. And TenTec is the only HAM manufacturer where I can download an update for free and where I may install it me myself.
In the past we haven't been using highly software defined radios. That's why we haven't seen software errors. In the past, radios had only hardware errors, but of course analogue hardware will not "hang up", it just will show... for example key clicks, bad IP3, killed components due to heat, distorted AF output, noisy AF output, ringing filters.... The difference is that a software error can be cured by downloading software (at least as far as TenTec radios are concerned), no need to solder in your equipment.

Have a look at what's happening with cars. Today, we have a high degree of software control in cars. It is known that new car types have a high number of errors. Customers are more and more aware of the fact that it is risky to buy a car which is on the market for only or less than 1 year. Why ? Well, 100000 customers will find more errors during this one year than 100 quality assurance engineers will find during few months of testing. 1000 quality assurance engineers testing for 1 year won't be paid by the customers.... Compare it to TenTec. They can't pay 100 quality engineers. How to find a bug, which appears every 5000 hours of operation ? You got it, they'll not find it - it could happen to the customer that he will find the bug....

Conclusion:
Is the ORION completely free of erros ? No.
Are those errors severe, or even harmfull to other contesters ? No.
Are his competitors free of erros ? No.
Are those errors severe, or even harmfull to other contesters ? Yes.
Is the ORION performance superior to most other radios ? Yes.
Is it a good contest radio ? Yes. Absolutely.
I do NOT see an alternative in the same price range. 10000 € for a radio is out of the acceptable price range, I'll better invest this money into a better QTH... without those stupid noises from the neighborhood....
Unmodified FT1000X are inacceptable for CW contesting, this one and all other radios in the 3000-€-price range have the same bad first IF filter characteristics with the resulting performance degradation, and both, ICOM and YAESU, have a customer support (at least for central Europe) which is less flexible and much slower than that one I experienced with APPELLO and TenTec.

73,
Ulrich DH0GHU

Message: 7