Re: [TenTec] Orion with - Centurion VS Alpha 91B?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion with - Centurion VS Alpha 91B?
From: Duane A Calvin <ac5aa@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 23:42:23 -0500
Lee,
        I have owned both.  I had a Centurion for several years, then
moved to an Alpha 99 (very similar to the 91b except it is built in the
US and has more US parts in it.)  I liked my Centurion a lot, and if
you're a DXer, expecially a lazy one like I am at times, depending on the
cluster instead of searching your own DX out, then you will want the
Centurion with the instant-on 3-500ZG's.  I worked a number of DX
stations while Alpha owners were waiting for that danged "Wait" LED to go
out!  So, why did I switch to the Alpha?  I think if one of the tubes
hadn't failed in my Centurion after 4 years of not-too-heavy use (I
rarely run over 800W, even with the Alpha), I wouldn't have gotten that
disappointed feeling.  Finding that a new matched pair of the same RF
Parts tubes cost $250, while a pair of GU-84B's from the guy who sells
'em to Alpha was $200 did get me a little bit.  Most of them are new/old
stock Svetlana military tubes.  But my reason for moving was the
perceived higher reliability, long term, of the Alpha.  In reality, I'd
bet they're very similar.  Both of my amps failed in the first few weeks
of use (bias transistor on the Centurion, vacuum relay on the Alpha).
Both have great service departments.  But there's no filament glow on the
Alpha that the Centurion had.  Both are easy to tune and drive.  Both are
quiet, both will work with the Ten-Tec QSK loop in full QSK mode, and
both run cool (altho the Centurion exhausts heat mostly from the right
side while the Alpha exhausts it from the top).   It's a horse race.  If
the prices were realistic for each, then ask yourself how much you need
the instant on feature.

        73,  Duane