[TenTec] ORION Hi/Lo Cut control

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] ORION Hi/Lo Cut control
From: Bob Henderson <bob@cytanet.com.cy>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 16:11:06 +0000
I realise this topic has been aired previously but I am not sure it was satisfactorily concluded and I am not one who will readily let sleeping dogs lie!

For the most part I use the BW/PBT controls on my Orion. They operate both logically and correctly, so far as I can tell. On the other hand, I find operation of the Hi/Lo cut controls to be neither logical nor correct.

I have the following obsevations concerning operation of hi/lo cut and will be interested to learn the views of other users..

1. Hi and Lo cut on the Orion refer to absolute frequency, which I suppose is technically correct but this has the effect of interchanging the audible effect of the controls when changing from USB to LSB. I feel operation might be more logical or at least more intuitively correct if the terms referred instead to recovered AF frequencies. In this way application of Hi cut would always reduce the HF part of the recovered bandwidth and likewise Lo cut would reduce the bass frequencies..

I made the following obsevations with the rig on USB. As Hi and Lo currently relate to absolute frequency the senses would be reversed on LSB.

2. The graphical representation of Hi cut appears correct. The skirt furthest from the carrier is adjusted whilst the skirt nearest the carrier remains anchored. However, adjustment of Hi cut does not adjust actual i/f b/w, until the Hi/Lo cut control is pressed and held for a second or so. This makes no sense. Actual b/w adjustment should be immediate while pressing and holding the control should reasonably restore the pre-adjustment b/w.

3. The graphical representation of Lo cut is incorrect. What should be seen, is movement of the filter skirt closest to the carrier while the skirt away from the carrier remains anchored. The graphic shows both skirts being adjusted but at different rates. This is not correct. The numerical indication shows PBT shifting at twice the rate of b/w change. This makes no sense. What should reasonably happen would be for PBT to display a figure equal to the delta in b/w. The adjustment of the Lo cut control does however, adjust actual b/w immediately, unlike Hi cut and pressing and holding the control does restore the pre-adjustment b/w.

Incidentally, I have two Orions and my obsevations hold good for both of them. They have also held good over a number of firmware releases, so this is not a new problem.

Whatsay?

73 de Bob, 5B4AGN