Re: [TenTec] Fishy Jupiter on eBay

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Fishy Jupiter on eBay
From: Steve Weber <kd9bo@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 09:36:31 -0500
My other hobby/passion is playing saxophone, and this scam is common in that arena. Usually it's a seller with zero feedback using a picture swiped from another auction or one of several sax picture archive sites. They often request payment by Western Union and frequently often claim to be overseas but that the sax is in the states for delivery by a third party.

The usual BS detection technique for a prozpective buyer is to request new pics of specific areas of the instrument including serial number, and ask where it can be seen so that another sax player can check it out, or ask that it be checked out by a legitimate local music store or repairman.

Sometimes they are legit, but not often.

73 de KD9BO Steve

Is either one of the ads from someone with zero feedback?  That could be
an indicator.  Then again, if not, one of them may have had his account
hijacked.  The ebay scammers are getting pretty bold lately.

73, Duane

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 22:56:06 -0500 "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net> writes:
 > I looked around eBay and found the same radio, at least the same
 > picture, of the same radio, on the same Tile Table......

 Not only is the picture the same, the descriptive text is also
 identical.

"Fishy" may be an understatement .. :-)

 Grant/NQ5T

Steve Weber

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

*******************************

Hey spammers - Harvesting email addresses? Don't overlook these guys!

FCC Chairman Michael K. Powell: mpowell@fcc.gov
FCC Commissioner Kathleen Q. Abernathy: kabernat@fcc.gov
FCC Commissioner Michael J. Copps: mcopps@fcc.gov
FCC Commissioner Kevin J. Martin: kjmweb@fcc.gov