Re: [TenTec] Argonaut V & Jupiter Firmware

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Argonaut V & Jupiter Firmware
From: "Ten-Tec Inc. Amateur Radio Sales" <sales@tentec.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 14:18:16 -0400
At 10:05 AM 7/8/04 -0400, you wrote:

What about the Jupiter, please?

If a decision is made to abandon firmware development will TenTec
allow sufficient access to the necessary data so that users may
make their own mods?  (We are Hams and such tinkering is in the
"bones".)

Really, it's too early to tell.

We don't have any plans to stop working on the firmware for the
Jupiter, or to discontinue the radio, or to release the internal DSP
code either.  The release of the innards of DSP code is a question for
off in the future - it's too early for us to speculate now on whether
we'd do that for a discontinued piece of equipment.

Given that the Orion, and what comes after that, are significantly
different in hardware and software it is doubtful that any
competitive advantage would be risked in so doing.

That's possibly true - and probably will be more true as time passes. But until the Jupiter is discontinued it's a moot point, and its discontinuance is not coming in the near future.

What might be more of a future question is how much tech support we
could be expected to provide for hacking DSP code in a discontinued
transceiver - no answer for that one, really.  But that could certainly be
a factor in any later decision to make the DSP code available.  Years
from now, I'll suppose we'll have to decide all of this.

Also, what about the availability of discrete boards for the
Jupiter?  I know that I'd sure like to have a spare DC board.

Thanks! & 73, doc kd4e

That's a question for our service department at service@tentec.com or (865) 428-0364.

73
Scott Robbins W4PA

Ten-Tec, Inc., 1185 Dolly Parton Pkwy, Sevierville, TN 37862 USA
Contact Mon-Fri Eastern: Office/Tech (865) 453-7172 9 am-5 pm.
Repair (865) 428-0364 8-4. Sales (800) 833-7373 9 am-5:30 pm.
Fax (865) 428-4483 24 hrs. Visit us at <http://www.tentec.com>
Email: New product sales/product info sales@tentec.com
Service department service@tentec.com
While we make every effort to answer email in an expedient manner,
the telephone is a much more efficient tool for getting a quicker and
more complete answer to your inquiries. Thanks!