[TenTec] RE: Unveiling of DR1

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] RE: Unveiling of DR1
From: Martin Ewing <martin@aa6e.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 11:18:00 -0400
The URL is http://www.computeradio.us/DR1.htm by the way.

Some first reactions:

1.  Are we sure the announce date was July 4?  Not April 1?
2.  Where's the CW key?
3.  Nice mock-up.  Is it real stainless steel? aluminum? cardboard?
4.  Even fewer specs than the IC-7800.

Seriously, maybe this is how software designed radios will be packaged. The box looks suspiciously like my PC tower. Note the spinner knob, keypad, and infra-red remote(?). Not as satisfying for me as a real control panel, but infinitely flexible.

Software: Is it open source? User extensible? (They say so.) Runs Linux? (They don't say.)

Good luck to them.

-Martin, AA6E