RE: [TenTec] Omni VI+ destined as a classic?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Omni VI+ destined as a classic?
From: "NJ0IP" <Rick@dj0ip.de>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 13:29:49 -0700
Sometimes I think Ten-Tecs are like Edsuls.
(Way ahead of their time and different enough that many people are reluctant
to own one)

I would never trade down (from Orion to Omni VI+) but for my mode and method
of operations, the Orion is a bit overkill.  I just find pleasure in owning
a radio with the best receiver that one can currently own (for anywhere near
the price).

I owned and used extensively 3 of the Omni Vx series of radios - over a
period of 13 years.  It frustrated me to no end that I could not convince my
fellow [BCC] club members to switch from rice boxes to quality - but I never
managed.

Interesting, now that same group of guys is taking a closer look at the
Orion.  I think there are several reasons for this.

- Clearly the first one is that it "looks" like most other radios.  It's
black and has a big screen.  Ten-Tecs ALWAYS looked different up til now.  I
preferred the color combination of the Omni Vx but I don't buy radios for
their looks.  I get the impression that many people do.

- Next, the boys in my club aren't poor students anymore and can now afford
a higher class of radio. That doesn't mean they will throw their hard-earned
money away on the new 7800/9000.  The dicision this decade might boil down
to price/performance (like it did 10 years ago when they chose TS-850) and
here the Orion triumps over all new rigs.  Buying one of the last FT-1000's
(new) is the biggest challenge to my club switching to Orion.

- Unique to Europe: Ten-Tec is back and with a passion!  Clearly that was a
major cause for lack of Ten-Tec radios in Europe for the past 6 or 7 years.

What does all of this have to do with the Omni VI+ becoming a classic?

Simple, as more people finally wake up to the fact that Ten-Tec now builds
excellent radios, they will begin to take a bigger interest in Ten-Tec and
learn that Ten-Tec has always built superb radios.  I think we'll see the
demand for the older rigs go up (and the prices increase with the demand).

Yes, the Omni Vx (series) will become a classic.

73
Rick