Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec Orion and it's auto tuner

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec Orion and it's auto tuner
From: "Mark Erbaugh" <mark@microenh.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 10:24:45 -0400
> Haven't taken the step yet to go from a Kenwood 950SD to an ORION,
> but before I do there is a question for Orion users.
> I've considered that it is entirely possible that an LDG Z-100 tuner would
> more than fill the need for a auto tuner that is available with the Orion
> (for $299.00).
> Was wondering how many Orion owners did, indeed, buy it with the internal
> tuner?

I had an Orion about a year ago with the AT. I now have one without the AT.
There are pros and cons both ways:

Pro AT

Tuner built in - no extra box needed
Automatic one button operation
The tuner can be disabled while a non AT Orion apparently cannot be upgraded

Con AT

$300 higher cost
Not needed for tuned antennas or when external tuners are needed to support
linear amplifiers
External tuners have more features, such as memory and FWD / REF power
displays and will match as broad an SWR range
With the N4PY Orion control software, external tuners can be have 'one
button' operation
An external tuner with the same capabilities costs significantly less and
can be used with other radios

Just my 2 cents,
Mark