Re: [TenTec] Basic question

Subject: Re: [TenTec] Basic question
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2004 01:20:58 -0500
On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 10:20:35 -0700, Gary Tuck wrote:

>Has anyone put  these side by side?

Here's a non-religous answer. I own an Omni V, an Omni A, an 850SAT, a 746
(internal audio
DSP), and a K2/100 w/audio DSP. I also own a 599ZX. (I also own a Hercules 444
and a Titan
425, but you're talking transceivers.)

Random thoughts. I very much like the audio DSP in the k2 and 746. The 850
lacks DSP (other
than a receive antenna input, its only serious shortcoming). The Omni V also
lacks DSP.  I like all of
these radios, but the DSP is a very useful tool. The 599ZX is pretty lame
compared to the DSP in
the K2 and the 746.  As receivers, I would rate the K2 at the top, the 850 and
the Omni V
somewhere below it, and the 746 below that. I also own an Omni A, but it is a
notch below the
newer Ten Tec gear.

My 850 and 746 are all loaded with factory filters for CW and SSB. So are the
Omni V and Omni A.
I'm mainly a CW guy but work some SSB in contests. The 850 is a VERY nice radio
for both CW
and SSB. A K2 beats it on CW, but is far from competititve on SSB. I haven't
used Ten Tec radios
newer than the Omni V, but I like the Omni V a lot. It currently resides at my
mountaintop QTH. My
friend, K9OR, has Inrads in two of his 850's and says they beat the stock
filters by a signifcant
margin.

>From a practical point of view, the main thing you could gain by upgrading
>from the 850 is DSP. But
the 850 is a damn good radio, and yours is bought and paid for. :)  I haven't
used the later Omni's
with DSP or the Orion, but both are highly regarded. Audio DSP is very useful
if done well. IF DSP
is a step up from that, and that's what's in the Orion.

Hope this helps.

Jim Brown  K9YC