Re: [TenTec] Basic question (especially NR operation)

To: tentec@contesting.com, Rick@dj0ip.de
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Basic question (especially NR operation)
From: Joe Giacobello <k2xx@swva.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 11:05:54 -0400
Rick, your description below about the NR performance on the Orion prompted me to go back to the Doug's and Scott's writeup on Weak Signal DXing, etc. It was my original impression that the NR function in the Orion essentially made a comparison between the signal and noise in the passband and then established a tight window (filter) around the signal and, in so doing, minimized the noise: "...DSP NR builds a bandpass filter to automatically reduce noise, it produces the same effect as manually selecting a very narrow DSP passband filter." Based on their description, I concluded that for the NR to work properly the desired signal had to be present when NR is invoked, and if one tuned to a different signal that one would have turn off the NR and then turn it on again so it could adapt itself to the new signal and noise conditions. In other words, having the NR on continuously was not the way to use it. Your successful experiences suggest that I may have gotten this wrong, but the write-up (in several places) leads me to believe otherwise. I wonder if you and others would comment on this point?

On another front, I have compared my 1000MP vs. the Orion on weak signal reception (not high QRN conditions) and found that by manipulation of the RF gain, audio DSP and crystal filters on the MP, weak signal readability is equivalent to the Orion. Admittedly, it's a little easier to achieve the same readability with the Orion.

Also, despite Sinisa's recommendations to the contrary, I have been running my RF gain wide open and varying the AGC threshold setting (relatively easy with N4PY's software) to maintain band noise and QRN at an acceptable level. Unlike him, I haven't really experimented with various combinations to see if this is really the best approach, but it seems to work reasonably well.

73, Joe

NJ0IP wrote:

We first adjusted the AGC threshold pretty high (can't remember the setting) until the background noise decreased significantly. This made an unbelievable improvement. We compared it to the TS-850. The 850 also showed S-7 on the meter and sounded just as the Orion had sounded before the AGC adjustment. There was nothing we could tweak on the 850 to improve the sound.

Next we turned on the Orion's NR and set it to about 4.

The result was something similar to having turned on a squelch.  Well you
could still hear a little audio, but basically the background was quiet.
Then as we tuned across the band, the signals just popped up out of nowhwere
(or so it seemed).  We made several comparisons to the 850 to check if all
of this noise reduction was deteriorating the signal strength of the desired
station, but it wasn't.  What it did was keep the desired signal's strength
constant while dramatically reducing the noise.  As a result, the 850's
performance came nowhere close to the Orion's.  Another league (minor
league).