Re: [TenTec] DSP and older Ten Tecs

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] DSP and older Ten Tecs
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2004 16:19:36 -1000

The ClearSpeech unit
analyzes the sound and does a very good job of removing any steady noise in
about a second, hetrodynes included.

It

responds slow enough that it can be used with CW that isn't too fast, but I
prefer to shut it off and just tighten the filtering for that and RTTY.

I have heard, from a local ham who tried one, that for a CW operator this is not a desireable product.

In
my case the proximity of the circuitry to the big power supply transformer
resulted in induced hum, but the DSP kills that as well in about a second
when the power is turned on.

If the DSP is killing the induced hum, then you are giving up some of the DSP's dynamic range. If you could do some shielding or balancing to get rid of that hum using traditional methods, so that the DSP does not have to do that work, then the DSP might work even better.

DE N6KB