Re: [TenTec] Orion Roofing Filter Cut In

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion Roofing Filter Cut In
From: K4IA@aol.com
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 10:34:24 EDT
Manual is way to cumbersome. It would be easier if there was one button you
could push to cycle through customized filter settings (like the AGC) but alas,
no such button exists on the Orion.

MENU => Filtr => spin the Multi knob or MENU =>Filtr =>spin the tuning knob
to Enable 1.8 filter => spin the Multi knob to "no."  Then reverse the whole
procedure to "put it back."

And even with manual control, you do not change when the filter kicks in, you
can just "disable it."  You still have no roofing filter choice for narrow
SSB other than the 2.4.  I guess the 1.8 filter is the one that bothers me the
most because it seems useless once you understand when it will kick in and the
fact it does the same in manual or automatic mode.

But the CW filters bother me too as I don't feel I get the full benefit of
the narrow filter.  I always have too much (crank down the DSP too far and miss
signals slightly off my frequency) or too little (not having the roofing
filter kick in).

Why not have the roofing filter match the DSP in the first place?  Why did
they pick 75% as the point to kick in the roofing filter?  I have pointed out a
big disadvantage of the way things are set up.  What is the advantage?

Radio k4ia
"Buck"
Fredericksburg, Virginia USA