Re: [TenTec] Orion Roofing Filter Cut In

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion Roofing Filter Cut In
From: "Bernard(wtrone)" <wtrone@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 20:41:01 -0500
    Steve:

        I was just looking at the schematic diagram of my FT-1000 to see if
I could determine the filter bandwidth going into the receiver front end.  I
didn't see it called out on the set of diagrams that I have in the user's
manual.

        However, I strongly suspect that it would be something on the order
of 20 kHz or greater.  Maybe someone one this thread can tell us what it is.

        This first stage is where the TenTec roofing filters are.  And,
selective roofing filters at this stage is something that we haven't seen in
ham rigs (at least in quite a while).

        Anyhow, my point was that the way the Orion is set up, I think that
they should eliminate the 1.8 and 2.4 filters because they don't kick in, in
the automatic mode, until the signal bandwidth is much too low for some
(many) of us to understand the SSB.  I still think that a 3.5 kHz filter in
place of the 1.8 and 2.4 filters would have been a better all around
selection.

            73,

            Bernard, WA4OEJ